Bryggen (German wharf / Hansa wharf) includes wooden buildings in the historic center of Bergen. Bryggen is on UNESCOs World Heritage list.
Around the year 1070 was the first houses in Bjørgvin (Bergen) built in this area. Since then the city has grown and Bryggen has been a natural trading center. In 1360 was an office of the Hanseatic League raised here and Bryggen was during the 1400s one of Europes most important trading place.
For many years, it has broken out several fires. In 1702 burned the entire pier down to the ground, but was rebuilt as it looked in the 1100s. Today is still Bryggen in use as they always have been and houses shops, businesses and restaurants.